Tuesday, September 1

The Perfect Bow

I've gotten several requests to demonstrate my bow making technique. This is one of the ways that I like to create bows - especially for cards that need to be mailed because the result isn't too "poofy".
Apply Sticky Strip where you plan for your ribbon to be placed. Here it is the 'seam' where the 2 patterns meet. Leave a small gap without adhesive. (see where I'm pointing) Remove the backing ONLY from the long piece of sticky strip and adhere your ribbon.

For the bow, cut a strip of ribbon and apply adhesive to one end. For a medium bow I used a 7" strip of 5/8" cream grosgrain. Next, adhere the two ends together and create a circle.


Grab your thread (baker's or button twine) and a sassy button.
Thread both ends through the button holes, keeping a loop of thread.

Slide your button loop onto your ribbon strip to the place where there is no adhesive. Also slide your ribbon circle into place. Tighten the thread (the middle should 'scrunch') and tie in a tight knot against the button. Remove the backing from the remaining Sticky Strip and tack your excess ribbon down - tucking the end over the edge for a clean and neat presentation. Trim your excess thread and 'voila!' - a sassy bow!

My snowy hills were made using the 1.75" Circle Punch and trimming them to line up with the bottom edge. A few halfback pearls accent the trees and are the perfect sassy something to finish up this simple card.

This Christmas cutie also meets the 'requirements for this week's Pile It On Challenge - Think Spots and Dots. It is based on the sketch that I found at Stamps and Smiles as well as a great example for this week's Practical Scrappers challenge. FOUR challenges - WOW!

I hope you'll play along with us at Color Throwdown this week - I can't wait to see what you create!

23 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh yes! This is what I have been waiting for! Yipee!

This is incredible - on the business side: Great job working with Color Throwdown. Excellent execution of a tutorial!

On the creative side - absolutely beautiful!

You have MAD SKILLS! So very talented and blessed!

Cathy Rulli said...

Great holiday card - thanks for sponsoring us this week!

Ann Schach said...

I love these color combinations, Denise! This is a perfect card in every way! Thanks for sharing your bow making technique. I will certainly be putting it to good use!

Anonymous said...

At last something even I can do! TFS. Just in time for the Holidays!Sara

Rose said...

fantastic holiday card :) thanks for showing how to make a bow! cant tie one to save my life!! thanks for joining us at SAS this week :)
rose - guest designer

Patti MacLeith said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the color combination and that you used it for Christmas! Your bow tutorial is awesome!

Kris Kilcoyne said...

What a fun color combo for a Christmas card.

I love your ribbon tips so far ... keep 'em coming!

Mary Fish said...

Picture perfect bow. Great tutorial and lovely color combo! Hugs, M

Mrs B said...

Oh, I just LOVE your card!!! and your bow...is just fantastic! Thanks for showing us how to make it! Thanks for playing along with us at Stamps and Smiles!
CindyB

Carla said...

I love it. Your tutorial is fantastic too, thanks so much, I'll use it too. Hugs,

Kristin Eberline said...

What a gorgeous holiday card! Those trees with teh pink and brown background are just lovely!

Love your "perfect bow" tutorial also. It's neat to see how different designers tie their bows.

Jennifer Meyer said...

Beautiful card Denis, I LOVE the colors and your bow is gorgeous - thanks for the tutorial!

Enjoy your week and thanks for playing along with Stamps and Smiles! Hugs, Jennifer :)

Linda Callahan said...

Beautiful - and thanks from the bow challenged people like me!!

Nance Leedy said...

This card is gorgeous, Denise! I love the color combination and the snow hills are great. Thanks too for the oh-so-helpful bow tutorial--you make it look effortless!

Christine said...

You totally need to enter this at Practical scrappers...the deadline is not until tomorrow. http://practicalscrappers.blogspot.com
Christine

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

What a fantastic card -- thank you so much for the bow making tips!!!

Anonymous said...

denise,
love the simple bow... thanks for the tip... btw.. your card is so gorgeous!

Thanks for playing with us at Stamps and Smiles! Remember that this week's sketch is up!

-- dalis

Unknown said...

Such a gabby card! I love the technique you shared. Your card is adorable and those tress have me longing for the smell of my fresh cut Christmas tree!
Thanks for playing at Practical Scrappers this week!
Blessings,
Kim
check out my blog

by. Amy Schultz said...

so pretty! Love your bow with the button in the center, so easy but so beautiful!

Amy -- Pile It On DT

Vickilyn said...

Super cute! Love the Xmas card in non-traditional colors and thanks for the bow instructions!!

Thanks for playing with us at Pile It On!!

~Vicki
Owner

Maureen said...

Great tutorial! The bow is perfect and so is the card! Thanks for playing with us at Pile It On!

LORi said...

Great Denise...Love it!!

LORi

~kelly marie~ said...

This tutorial is so fun! I just added it to my list so I can try it one day! :)