Thursday, September 3

Ribbon Blossoms

Our wonderful week of ribbon continues at Sassy Stampin' with Ribbon Blossoms. Earlier in the week I demonstrated how to create Ribbon Ruffles using Double-Stitched ribbon. Today, we are going to use the same technique to make sassy blossoms. Need a review of the Ribbon Ruffle technique? Click here.

Cut your ribbon to 12-16" in length. Pull the stitching from the same side on both ends - creating the 'scrunch'. The ribbon will naturally start to curve inward.
Be sure that the entire length of ribbon has a tight scrunch. Then, using the excess thread that you pulled, tie a tight knot. (similar to bow tying - but just a knot) You should have a 'donut'. Trim the excess thread. You may also want to tuck your ends for a neater presentation. I do this by simply creating a little fold and tacking it with a few Mini Glue Dots. (my fingers get in the way if I try to photo it ;) TIP: You can gently shape your flower but too much tugging may result in pulling out the knot.

More card details:
  • The inspiration for my layout today comes from Our Creative Corner's sketch challenge as well as The Pink Elephant challenge. For Pink Elephant we had to use: 2 squares, 1 ribbon, and something shiny. Check, check, and check!
  • My Melon Mambo card base is 5.5" square and is layered with Rich Razzleberry as well as Razzleberry Lemonade Designer Series Paper. To separate the 2 prints I added a scallop edge.
  • The main panel is Rich Razzleberry with a slim matte of Crushed Curry. The Razzleberry was textured using an embossing folder.
  • The leaves are from the Central Park stamp set. A pair of super sharp scissors are a necessity when you're doing detailed trimming. Paper Snips are my favorite go-to. TIP: If you ever get 'gunk' on your scissors from adhesive, you can use nail polish remover to clean them.
  • A combination of Mini and Pop-Up Glue Dots were used to adhere my flower layers and So Saffron button. I really nestled the button down into the center section to encourage the ribbon to 'poof' up.
  • The 'thank you' sentiment with butterfly from Oval All seemed perfect for this blossoming beauty. I snipped it out and framed it with Hodgepodge Hardware for extra sass. (and something shiny)
Ready to make your own Ribbon Blossoms?
Take advantage of my exclusive Ribbon Promotion.
CLICK HERE for all the details.

Sassy Stampers:
ORDER ONLINE 24/7

Stamps: Central Park (113732), Oval All (113790)
Paper: Melon Mambo (115320), Rich Razzleberry (115316), Crushed Curry (115319), Razzleberry Lemonade Designer Series (115675)
Ink: Chocolate Chip (100908), Old Olive (102277)
Tools: Paper Snips (103579), Swiss Dots Embossing Folder, Apron Lace Punch
Must-Haves: Mini (103683) and Pop-Up Glue Dots (104183)
Sassy Somethings: Rose Red (111846) and Chocolate Chip (111849) Double-Stitched Ribbon, Hodgepodge Hardware - currently available in Styled Silver (111325) or Styled Vanilla (112454), Button Latte (114333)

20 comments:

Gina Shaw said...

Stunning card, Denise, and I love the way you're teaching about ribbon! It's fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.

Melissa said...

Woohoo! I am first! Nah nah!

This is adorable! What a great way to use ribbon - in a card or a scrapbook page!

Thank you so much for sharing your ribbon knowledge. I have sorta been doing "Ribbon for Dummies". Now I feel like I have bonafied knowledge!

Beautiful card, too!

Melissa said...

Ah! While writing, that stinker hit send before I did!! I'll get her!

Carla said...

Denise, how beautiful. Ribbon flowers are so pretty... especially yours!!! Hugs,

Kris Kilcoyne said...

So cool, Denise.

I wonder how these techniques work with other types of ribbon. Gonna have to try it out. :)

Thanks so much for sharing your creativity.

Karen Wilson said...

Hi Denise! I came across your blog from The Fresh Batch Challenge. Congrats on your win! Your work is beautiful and I love your ribbon lesson here. I'm going to give this one a try!

Rose said...

fantastic card and thanks for showing how to make the ribbon flower :) thanks for joining us on OCC this weeek :)
rose - guest designer

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Fish said...

This is fantastic. You could turn these ribbon flowers into pins to attached to a jean jacket, purse, backpack . . . very cute . . . Hugs, M

Carrie said...

This is beautiful, Denise! Your ribbon flowers are such a pretty idea. I am going to have to try it!

Stampin' Diva said...

Love this. You are ribbon queen. I am going to be trying ruffled ribbon soon. Thanks.

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

What a gorgeous card - your ribbon flowers are simply FAB!!

Patti MacLeith said...

Thanks for the tutorial, Denise! I love learning new things. Especially new ways to use SU products!

Ann Schach said...

Thanks for the tutorials on ribbons, Denise! The results are so beautiful!

Annie said...

oh my goodness I just have to try this out. Wowee it looks gorgeous.
Ann xxx
http://thepinkelephantchallenge.blogspot.com/

Sheri Gilson said...

Very cute!! Love the ribbon flowers. Thanks for playing along with us at TPE!!

Sheri
http://thepinkelephantchallenge.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love the flower!!!! I have to try that technique... :)
TFS

LORi said...

hey Denise! Girl your card is gorgeous!! Love the ribbon flower tip...Thanks for the inspiration!!

Thanks for joining us this week at TPE!!

Hugs ~ LORi

Sonia said...

Adorable Card. The ribbon flowers are Absolutely Fabulous!.
Thanks for sharing.

**Sony**

~kelly marie~ said...

Those ribbon flowers are fantastic! Wow!!