Sunday, September 13

Vintage Santa

When I saw the Just Beclause stamp set in the NEW Holiday Mini I think my heart skipped a beat. I love things with a bit of a vintage twist lately, and the text print of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' on Santa's coat really makes my heart flutter. BONUS: At only $14.95 - this set is a steal! This whimsical St. Nick just had to be stamped... he couldn't wait!

The layout for my card is inspired by a sketch challenge at Caardvarks. My Soft Suede card base is 5" x 7" and is layered with a matte of Ruby Red as well as a few polka-dotty prints from The Write Stuff Specialty paper collection. TIP: Using two different sizes of the polka-dot print helps balance the project.

A vertical strip of Chocolate Chip Striped Grosgrain was pleated and added. TIP: When making ribbon pleats there are several ways to give them staying power: 1) Staples. Check your local craft store for staples in all kinds of fun and funky colors. 2) Sewing Machine. 3) Simple Stitch. I use Linen Thread and a sewing needle to add one simple stitch to each pleat. I'm not a seamstress, (i.e. replacing buttons is about as advanced as I get) so this is the easiest way for me.

I stamped Santa onto Kraft in Chocolate Chip ink as well as onto Ruby Red and Soft Suede to paper piece his coat, hat, and sack full o' toys. To complete his outfit I used my Ruby Red Stampin' Write Marker on the sleeves and a white Watercolor Pencil for the trim and beard. I debated coloring the toys, but decided Santa should be the focus.

Santa is layered with Ruby Red and Chocolate Chip. A darling Scallop Edge border and single Playground Button seemed like perfect accents - simple, but sassy. The entire panel is popped using Stampin' Dimensionals.

The sentiment, 'Believe in Santa... just beclause!', was popped using the Modern Label Punch. Two Vintage Brads decorate each side - creating a mod little 'banner'. The brads are echoed in the bottom corner and unify the elements.

Need a Holiday Mini Catalog?
E-mail me and I'll pop your FREE copy in the mail.

Sassy Stampers:
SHOP ONLINE 24/7

Stamps: Just Beclause (116640)
Paper: Soft Suede (115318), Ruby Red (102030), Chocolate Chip (102128), Kraft (102125), The Write Stuff Specialty Designer Series (115674)
Ink: Chocolate Chip (100908), Ruby Red Stampin' Write Marker(100075), Watercolor Pencils (101879)
Tools: Modern Label Punch (116630), Scallop Edge Punch (112091)
Must-Haves: Stampin' Dimensionals (104430)
Sassy Somethings: Chocolate Chip Striped Grosgrain - 1.25" (115617), Linen Thread (104199), Vintage Brads (109109), Playground Buttons (116313)

20 comments:

Ellie said...

OHHH see I can't come visit you anymore... everytime I come and see a stamp I don't have I HAVE TO ADD it to my list! LOL you are amazing and I love this card... and I love your accents w/the ribbon! :)

Rachel said...

Hi Denise! Thank you for the lovely comment...I know I bribed you but all the same :-)
I really like the pumpkin card!
thanks for stopping by!

Linda Callahan said...

Love the ribbon - love the different color combo- and the button!

Claireabelle said...

Gorgeous card, how jolly is that Father Christmas?!!!

Love it!
x

~kelly marie~ said...

This is so fun! I love the Santa! The ribbon is gorgeous!

Stampin' Diva said...

Great job!!! I thought this set was so cute too

Melissa said...

Where in the world do I begin? The button is classic Sassy Stampin! I adore this ribbon...you are a pro. Seriously, you got mad skills!

My fav Sassy Stampin: The way to layered up your sentiment. That is really sharp, girl. So dang clever!! I am loving it!

SmilynStef said...

I agree ... the text on his coat is fabulous ... and I love the pleated ribbon ... great sketch design.

Ann Schach said...

I love the vintage look that you created! The DSP was the perfect choice, as was your ribbon treatment! Perfect card as usual!

lauren bergold said...

what an adorable vintage-look holiday card! that santa is indeed fabulous and i LOVE the way you've paperpieced him so very cleverly! FABULOUS!

Mary Fish said...

What a sweet guy! Love what you did with the ribbon. Hugs, M

Janine said...

I just got this stamp set and haven’t had a chance to use it, thanks for the inspiration, you did a really great job on this card. TFS.

Patti MacLeith said...

The Ribbon just is fantastic, Denise! I love how it adds such dimension. Your Santa is sweet!

Carrie said...

Your santa looks great! I love that paper piecing and white coloring. The ribbon pleating is a nice touch, too.

Daniela Dobson said...

Adorable, love the ribbon!

Unknown said...

Absolutely adorable! I love that Santa and your ribbon treatment is fabulous!

Kris Kilcoyne said...

You do wonders with Ribbon!

Such a great card, Denise.

Carla said...

Fabulous card, Santa is so fun. Hugs,

Michelle Giraud said...

fantastic card. Great job on the Caardvarks Sketch challenge!

Jolene said...

Really fun!