Monday, August 31

Ribbon Ruffles

Ready, set, run for your ribbon! This week we're going to learn some simple and sassy ways to dress up any project with ribbon. Today: Ruffles with Double-Stitched Ribbon.

When I learned this technique on Lisa Johnson's Poppy Paperie blog I was head over heels. I am so excited to re-create her tutorial using Stampin' Up! ribbon and supplies and to share it with you. I love the gathered look that this ribbon trick gives projects... it has a homespun feel that is just perfect for a special touch. Here's how to add this scrunched sweetness to your next project:

Start with a longer piece than you think you'll need - you 'lose' length from scrunching. For example: on my 4" square card, I started with a 16" piece of Rose Red Double-Stitched. Next, lift out the thread from ONE side of the ribbon. TIP: I do this on BOTH ends. Then, pulling the thread, I scrunch gently towards the middle.

Use Sticky Strip to adhere the ruffle to your card base. Wrap the ends, trim your excess, and tape the 'hangover' down. TIP: You want to be sure that you pull the thread out and secure it -- preventing the ruffle from unraveling. I used Sticky Strip again -- making it easy to peel the backing and adhere to my card base. You can also use something as simple as Scotch tape to make those ends stay put.


I made two cards to showcase this technique... both lovey-dovey themed. I was inspired by blog reader, Nadine, to create a few wedding cards. She specified that brown was not only her favorite color, but also part of the wedding's colors. I added the pinks... one of my favorite combinations. (and also the colors of my own wedding ;)
The large card (5" x 7") is inspired by Card Patterns Sketch 30 and has a bit of a vintage flair with Kraft card stock and distressed edges. The heart from Always was a perfect fit paired with the happiness sentiment from Heard From the Heart.
The smaller card (4" square) uses Thoroughly Modern Designer Series Paper and Eight Great Greetings stamp set. It's simple and straight forward - the Rose Red Double-Stitched ruffle really is the showstopper.

Tomorrow:
The Holiday Mini Catalog goes 'live'.
I'll have an exclusive Ribbon Promotion to go along with it.

Stamps: Always (113620), Heard From the Heart (111644), En Francais (109521), Eight Great Greetings (113822)
Paper: Chocolate Chip (102128). Kraft (102125), Rose Red (102544), Pretty in Pink(100459), Bella Bleu Designer Series (113974), Thoroughly Modern Designer Series (115673)
Ink: Chocolate Chip (100908), Ranger Tea Dye Distress Ink
Tools: 3/16" Corner Rounder (109047)
Must Haves: Sticky Strip (104294)
Sassy Somethings: Chocolate Chip Double-Stitched (111849), Rose Red Double-Stitched (111846), Sherbet Buttons (116312), Button Latte (114333), Chocolate Chip Corduroy Buttons (114339)

12 comments:

LILY said...

Wow ~ ~ you put ribbons such Withdrawing Zhenzhen great ideas, your card How pretty!! ^ ^

whoistracy said...

Beautiful Denise! Love that ruffled ribbon. It's on my must-try list. Love that 4" square card especially, so cute.

Angie K. said...

Beautiful Cards and you make it look so easy!

Jennifer Meyer said...

How cool is this... I LOVE your card Denise & your tutorial is awesome - thanks for sharing.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a sweet comment! Email me & I will create fun watermark just for you! :)

Hugs, Jennifer :)
jdmeyer6@scglobal.net

Kris Kilcoyne said...

Beautiful!

I want to try that too - it's drop dead gorgeous.

Now I may have to add some double stitched ribbon to my order for tomorrow.

Ann Schach said...

Way cool, Denise! I will definitely try this! Your cards are beautiful, as always. You are a major talent!

Carrie said...

Denise, these are gorgeous! I love this technique and never would have thought of it. So pretty.

Carla said...

Oh so cool!!! I'm so tired of making bows. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This ribbon technique is fabulous and I will be trying it. Hugs

Melissa said...

WOW! I am so thrilled with your tutorial! Great job on the tutorial and the card is adorable!

You know I am excited about this ribbon trick! I wanna do ribbon like you!

Mary Fish said...

I had know idea this was possible. Reminds me of Parisian cafe curtains. Thanks for sharing your beautiful cards and ideas.

Hugs,

Mary

Lori Jane Mittlestadt said...

These samples are beautiful. I have been a sewer and ribbon freak 4-evah (!) and I can't imagine missing the benefits of the stitched edge. I am making anniversary cards for a customer today so I will put this technique to use RIGHT AWAY! Thanks, Denise!!
lorijane

~kelly marie~ said...

Wow! That ribbon detailing is so gorgeous! So perfect your heart themed cards. I just love it!